This image pretty much sums it up… So shine on you crazy diamonds!
Sing “Hail to the Chief!”
And fix the economy,
You’re pres, Superman,
After yesterday’s DC-centric 12 Days of Christmas, we figured we should take a crack at the old Marvel U, too. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!
12 – Herculean labors
11 – Henchmen of MODOK
10 – Weapons through Wolverine
9 – Heads of the Hydra
8 – Arms of Dr. Octopus
7 – Guardians of the Galaxy
6 – Infinity Gems
5 – Original X-Men
4 – Challengers of the Fantastic
3 – Scarlet Spiders
2 – Ideological mutants
1 – Ultimate Nullifier
When you think of patriotic comic book characters, you probably immediately think of Captain America or Superman’s fight for truth, justice and the American Way. For my money though, no one screams love of country more than Prez Rickard. Why? Let’s forget for the moment that he was created by Joe Simon, making him the younger brother of Captain America. Never mind his pedigree, what about his track record?
The kid had the stones to run for congress, change the constitution, and become president all before his 21st birthday.
Check out his adventures. Where else are you going to see a leather pants wearing Native American as head of the FBI, or Prez’s own mother as Vice President? You can usually pick them up for a decent price, and it’s only four issues…five if you count the coda that Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred gave us in Sandman #54.
Happy 4th of July!!
Ahhhhh… love is in the air. It’s Valentine’s Day and we’d be remiss in neglecting how the Cape and Mask set celebrate the holiday.
Naturally, the Kents have romantic plans, as do the Allens, Richardses, and the countless other couples in comics.
How about the singles?
Ah…they put out ads in trade papers. Looking for love isn’t any easier when you commit or fight crime and or have phenomenal powers. Below you’ll find some personal ads from folks you might recognize.
SGM looking for SF: You’ll think I’m a mind reader because I’ll be the man (or woman) you need me to be. Don’t really like evenings by the fire place: my love will keep you warm. We can eat cookies in my bed. Isn’t it time to go green?
SWF looking for SM: Squirrly girl looking for the right nut ; ) Must be an animal lover, but not afraid to go out with a girl in a fur coat. Preferably someone in the Great Lakes area.
DOOM demands SF: Must hate RICHARDS! . . . should also be okay with scars, robot duplicates, and tats. No fat chicks.
SPM seeking SPF: Don’t let my super intelligence freak you out baby. I can get down and dirty flinging my feces with the best of them. Should be open to world domination and human subjugation.
SMODOK seeks SMODAM: Let me be your Mental Organism Designed Only for LOVE. After dinner and a movie, we can add a whole new meaning to “bumping uglies.” Too forward? Face it, I’m a head in a chair. Any move is too forward.
- First off, to counteract the comic blog world’s fixation with Christmas, Happy Hanukkah (or Chappy Chanukah) to all of the Jewish comic book readers out there (there must be SOME). Rather than making my own, I thought I would link to some lists of Jewish comic book characters. For you. For Christmas.
- The Onion in definitely on the right track with these DC Earth One graphic novels. How many times can DC reinvent themselves? And shouldn’t they just be focusing on making the regular line more accessible? For crying out loud, the Superman books don’t have Superman in them!
- Marvel recreates Thriller a la Robot Chicken. Sure M.O.D.O.K. is pretty amusing, but a company can’t really go for blood when they’re parodying themself, so it’s a little on the light side.
- If you happen to be in Minnesota, you can catch a free screening of the Star Wars Holiday Special. And Bea Arthur. Or, you could get the Rifftrax commentary.
- Grant Morrison is officially bringing Bruce Wayne back. I hope “time bullets” aren’t involved.
- Just because we talk a lot about monkeys here, I thought I’d pass along this article about language and syntax discovered in monkeys.
And a Happy Festivus for all of the Verdukian friends of L.E.M.U.R. Comics!