I’m going to get some reviews of recent releases out of the way before I take a look at this week’s books.
- Haunt #1 – Here’s how I think it went down:
INT – Todd McFarlane and Robert Kirkman are trying to come up with ideas for a new book together
Todd – I’d love to do Deadman, but he’s owned by another company.
Robert – I’d love to do Firestorm, but he’s owned by another company.
Todd – Wait a minute…
Both – TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!
Okay, that’s probably not how it happened, but that’s what it feels like. Here’s the thing, though: it works. We’ve got a cynical priest, a dead brother, and some killers. That’s a good setup! Anyone looking for McFarlane’s influences will probably be disappointed, though. He’s credited as co-plotter and inker, but not much stands out in the artwork to scream McFarlane. That’s probably for the best, since Ryan Ottley’s art is solid, and I don’t think the story would benefit from Todd’s grotesque (that’s an adjective, not a judgment) style.
- Blackest Night: Batman – I think we just got a digression here, but it was an interesting one. And the pain Tim and Dick felt came through. Of course, unless the Gordons are complete idiots — and I don’t think they are — between Damian name-checking Tim Drake and Alfred helping them out undisguised, some secret identities are blown. That’s a big let-down.
- Batman #691 – Oh, look, it’s Black Mask! Who could have seen that one coming?
I also picked up Deadpool #900 (not just because The Rob draws a close-up of a hand, though he does) and the new Chronicles of Wormwood, but haven’t read them yet. Alright. Finally! Now for this week’s comics…
- ARSENIC LULLABY PULP EDITION OMEGA – Ever since this has been relaunched as a magazine I haven’t known what’s going on with it, but if I don’t have it already, I’m in. Yes, I’m sick. I know this.
- BLACKEST NIGHT SUPERMAN #3 (OF 3) – No. No, thank you.
- EX MACHINA #46 – Three issues left! On the plus side, I think we’re really going to find out what’s been going on. I just wish I wasn’t so excited that it’s about to be over.
- FIVE FISTS OF SCIENCE GN – I bought this the first time around, but I can’t recommend it enough. This is messed-up Steampunk at it’s most insane.
- LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS HC $24.99 – Really, Marvel? You put out 4 issues of a mini-series featuring sidekick pets and then put it in a hardcover and charge $25 for it? Are you sure you know who your audience is? Think Big Little Books.
- PUPPY POWER BO OBAMA – Just to prove that I’m not only hating on The Big Two, I’d just like to say “Stop, Bluewater.” Still, I would LOVE to know the sales figures on this.
- STUFF OF LEGEND #2 (OF 2) – ARGH! I still haven’t read the first issue yet, but I’m definitely picking up issue two based on the strength of the FCBD book. See, comic publishers? Proof that Free Comic Book Day works!
- UNDERGROUND #2 (OF 5) – This one is going to have to pass the flip test if I’m going to keep going with the series. I’m not entirely sure why I’m reading it.
That’s it for me. What are you getting?